Mindful eating is about awareness. When you eat mindfully, you slow down, pay attention to the food you’re eating, and savor every bite. Dr. Susan Albers, author, psychologist
My husband and I have a couple of Christmas parties this weekend so I’ve been thinking about how to cope with the party food. So much sugar, carbs, fat, alcohol. Yikes! Here are a few tips I’ve found:
- Don’t show up hungry. Eat something nutritious before the party and you’ll be less tempted.
- Be clear about your health goals. Now is a good time to review your plan—lose weight, lower sugar consumption. What’s your intention?
- Align your actions with your goals. Spur-of-the-moment food choices are made when you forget what it is you want and do the opposite.
- Stay hydrated. Drinking water positively affects your overall health, your cognitive function, concentration and alertness.
- Enjoy. When you do indulge, notice what it is you are eating, be mindful of the texture, taste, smell, and enjoy the experience.
Affirmation: I eat mindfully.
Coaching questions: What’s your holiday eating plan? What will you do to enjoy the season and take care of your health at the same time?