There’s a scientific phenomenon known as the U-bend of life—the discovery that the world’s happiest people tend to be in their 80s and beyond.
In his book, Long Live the Queen: 23 Rules for Living From Britain’s Longest-Reigning Monarch, author Bryan Kozlowski writes about some of the rules the 94-year-old Queen Elizabeth II follows to stay vital. Here are a few in no particular order.
- Stick to a schedule. From her early days as queen, Elizabeth has followed a strict daily regiment that ends with writing in her journal.
- Learn to dial down negative mind chatter. Sweetening your self talk creates a type of psychological armor.
- Play. Elizabeth takes time nearly every day to play as she did as a child—specifically with horses. This keeps her brain youthful and and her body flexible.
- Serve others. The patron of hundreds of charities, Elizabeth II believes that giving herself to good causes also helps her put her own worries in perspective.
- Sustain your faith. As a regular church attender and person who prays daily, Elizabeth believes that whatever worries the world throws at her, there is “a higher throne on which to lay them.”
- Be open to change. Elizabeth II has never stopped learning and adapting. “The way we embrace change defines our future.”
Affirmation: I learn from a queen.
Coaching questions: Which rule do you currently follow? Which one applies most to your life? Which one will you strive to follow?