Everyone has inside her a piece of good news. The good news is you don’t know how great you can be. Anne Frank, German diarist
On social media and personal contacts I often read/hear laments by adult daughters who, after the death of their mother (sometimes years after the death), feel helpless, hopeless, identity-less, and floundering without an anchor.
Their plight brings to mind some tips to help your daughters successfully cope with life after your death.
- Encourage your daughter to internalize the reality that she will probably (and hopefully) outlive you. Help her recognize that this is the natural order of things. No one lives forever—not even mothers.
- Before she becomes an adult, prepare your daughter to be an independent person, a person who can successfully, confidently, and joyfully live her life and make good decisions without your constant input.
- Help your daughter discover and embrace her own identity apart from you and her role as your daughter.
- Help your daughter understand that she will not be responsible for your death (unless, of course, there’s mistreatment).
- As you age or draw near to death, help your daughter understand that her death will not mirror your death—not the day, time, or manner. Each death is unique. Daughters generally have anxiety over the anniversary of their mother’s death (especially when they reach the age of their mother when she died). You speaking to your daughter about this may give her peace in the future.
These are the hard truths I’ve learned as I’ve interacted with countless motherless daughters. I hope there’s a take-away for you, Dear Mother.
Affirmation: I will do all I can to help my daughters (sons too) thrive after I’m gone.
Coaching questions: If any of these tips resonate with you, what will you do about it? What action will you take? What conversation will you have?
An independent mother raising an independent daughter.
One thought on “Give Your Daughter Coping Skills For Her Years Without You”
Love it mom – thanks ::))
Winnifred S. da Silva Leadership Strategist & Executive Coach Podcast Host: Transformative Leadership Conversations http://www.winniedasilva.com LinkedIn firstname.lastname@example.org 646-425-5946
LikeLiked by 1 person