One of the first conditions of happiness is that the link between man and nature shall not be broken. Leo Tolstoy, author
Happy Earth Day 2021! Teaching love and respect for Mother Earth needs to happen year round and begin at a young age. Teach children to not be wasteful, recycle, respect the nature around them—leave nothing behind but footprints.
Looking for some creative ways to start engaging with your little ones about the environment and civic engagement this Earth Day?
1. As children are starting to learn color identification, take them outside and have them identify different plants and animals of all colors of the rainbow.
2. Educate children about the cycles of life by hatching butterflies, watching tadpoles turn into frogs, or simply owning a pet of any type.
3. Collect fallen leaves and identify types of trees. Create art with the leaves to help the children learn the varied beauty of their colors, shapes, and sizes.
4. Help children enjoy stillness as they listen for the sounds of nature.
5. Plant a garden with your little one.
Affirmation: I will link the young people in my life to nature.
Coaching questions: How do you connect with nature? What does this connection mean to you? How important is it to share this connection with the youngsters in your life? What difference might it make to the future of our planet?